Having triplet pregnancy means visiting your health care provider a lot more. Most women with triplet pregnancy will choose to see an obstetrician, especially the one who has experience handling multiple pregnancies. Commonly there will be frequent prenatal visits, several ultrasound exams, and other tests to ensure the mother is doing well and the babies are developing sound and proper.
One of the most common pregnancy symptoms is morning sickness. When you’re carrying triplets, all the symptoms are worse than when you’re having one child. A mother with triplet pregnancy often has much worse morning sickness than a mother conceiving one baby. This morning sickness might be eased by the following ways:
- Try to eat bland soda cracker.
- Avoid drinking fluids while eating meals. It is better to drink fluids about 30 minutes before and after meals.
- Try to drink bland fluids such as water or lemonade in small amounts but regular throughout the day to avoid dehydration.
- Try to eat meals frequently in small amount instead of large amount of meals at one time.
- Try to take extra naps but do not lay down right after eating.
- Avoid smells that might nauseate you.
- Try to keep your body cool because feeling hot can increase nausea.
- Avoid spicy food.
When you feel like your morning sickness is getting worse day by day, go to see your doctor immediately. He will refer you for Hyperemesis gravidarum, a treatable condition which is harmful if left untreated. To ease your symptoms and prevent dehydration, your doctor might also prescribe something for you.
You may be restricted to bed rest at some point in your triplet pregnancy. When this is happen, try to find ways to fight boredom and remain relaxed. When you are confined to the bed or couch, it must be easy to feel stressed or frustrated. Yet, it is important for yourself and your babies to be physically and mentally relaxed. Following are some tips to have a nice bed rest:
- Follow your doctor’s advises. Your doctor will give you specific instructions from the best sleeping position to any exercises that are allowable for pregnant women.
- Read your favorite books.
- Talk on the phone with friends.
- Invite your lovely family for visits.
- Keep yourself busy by organaizing photo albums and put them together in a scrapbook.
- Write some letters to friends or families.
- Fold baby clothes.
- Watch movies that you never had time to watch.
- Listen to your favorite music.
If you know what to do during your bed rest, it can be a mini vacation.
Conceiving triplet babies will make your belly look larger than in a single pregnancy, as the pregnancy progresses. The babies would press your stomach and making it hard to eat large amount of foods. Therefore it is important to try to consume healthy food though. Women with triplet pregnancy should expect to gain much more weight than women with single pregnancy. On average, women with triplet pregnancy gain 30 to 55 pounds.